It’s been, like, a decade since the season 7A finale of Pretty Little Liars, right? The wait is nearly over for diehard fans (or those watching because the invested time and energy will not allow them to ‘give up’.)
Even people ‘hate watching’ the show are still curious to see how it all ends. Either that or they are using it as motivation for hate mailing Marlene King on June 21st.
Whichever it is, we’re all in this together.
Photo Credit: PLL Wiki
I’m a PLL Reddit lurker who has never joined in on the community, but I have seen some interesting thoughts and theories posted over the past seven months.
As well my fave PLL podcasters over at CAbernet and A who introduced PLL ‘newbies’ Babe and Leo over the hiatus to give a fresh perspective on the Liars, their lovers, and other Felicia’s of the series.
Leo has it pinned on Ezra Fitz, and I couldn’t agree with him more.
I have been suspicious of Ezra for the majority of PLL. I don’t trust him. He’s shifty, selfish, manipulative, and fucking weird.
Ezra’s role has been questionable at the best of times and downright nefarious at others (season 4).
I am also aware that I am putting a target on myself by saying I think that the EzriA relationship is not impressive.
As a person who provides relationship coaching, I can honestly say that Aria not only needs to stay away from Ezra, she needs to take a break from dudes in general.
Ezra has been playing Aria since the day he preyed on her by pretending he didn’t know she was 16 and the best friend of the ‘dead’ girl he had been dating a year earlier.
Photo Credit: ToShellWithItBlog
So, yeah. I don’t ship EzriA at all. And I think this is a sentiment that much of the PLL fandom has (even people who ship them admit that at points the relationship is kinda gross.)
My ideal ending would be that Ezra is AD. I don’t know all of the logistics of it or even what his ultimate motive is, but I believe he is behind all of this.
There are theories that he is a distant DiLaurentis or Drake. I think his connection to CeCe runs a lot deeper than what we discovered during season 4B.
There are theories that he is a friend/relative of Wren Kingston.
There are theories that he has been manipulating the girls this whole time (including his recently relocated girlfriend, Nicole) as twisted muses for his book plotlines.
There are theories that Ezra is just a creepy psycho, and there is PLENTY of evidence to support them.
Tumblr user rosewoodrebel hints that perhaps there is a connection between Ezra and Bethany Young.
My opinion is going to be a super unpopular pseudo-theory (and it’s not entirely original either), but I think that Sabrina is Bethany Young and I believe she is managing a hell of a lot more for Ezra than the Brew Cafe.
Photo Credit: BuddyTv.com
I know, I know – then, really, WHO THE F**K IS IN THE GRAVE?!
PLL has faked multiple dead bodies.
They faked dead Toby in season 3 (complete with ‘901 Free At Last’ tattoo) and we can’t forget about the “cadaver” from season 5 that Rosewood PD believed was the body of an also not dead Mona Vanderwaal.
So, how do they know that the police records were not botched by A to make it appear that the random female body in the grave is not who they think it is?
More on Sabrina, the edibles baker, who appears from thin air in season 6A.
Sabrina has no last name. Sabrina has no social media presence. Sabrina happens to manage the very place that the Liars go to discuss all things murder and mayhem. We don’t know Sabrina’s age. We don’t know anything about her except for the fact that she had cancer, can bake cupcakes and lemon bars, and makes a decent cup of coffee.
We know that Sabrina smokes ‘medicinal’ marijuana. According to CeCe, Bethany is the one who suffered from IED, not her. So here’s an interesting aside:
Medical Marijuana and Intermittent Explosive Disorder (IED)
The conventional treatment for IED through both cognitive behavioral therapy and psychotropic medication regimes, have shown very limited success given the patients refusal to take any prescribed opiates that alter their mood because this is not deemed as a “natural” process.
IED is linked to conditions such as depression, bipolar disorder, stress and attention hyper activity disorder, for which medical marijuana is a fantastic treatment. Research has found medical marijuana to have active ingredients that are used to treat symptoms and conditions such as stress, severe anxiety, chronic pain and abnormal respiratory functions.
THC an active cannabinoid in medical marijuana tends to serve as a great mood alteration and provides patients with a very calm and serene view of the world around them. Cannabis’ ability to effectively modify the “fight or flight” impulse response makes it a perfect solution for IED. (Medical Marijuana Association).
Oh, and Sabrina HATES it when people lie to her.
Hmm. Who else went bonkers apeshit over being lied to?
Photo Credit: www.analyzinga.weebly.com
Another thing I got thinking about was something I noticed during the EzrA episodes. In Hot for Teacher, the film playing in the A tag is Dark Passage, which is about a man who is accused of murdering his wife and undergoes “illicit backroom plastic surgery” to stay under the radar. Since 4B is the season we learn that Alison isn’t dead and that somebody else is “in the box,” could it be possible that Bethany underwent plastic surgery to stay under the radar?
We’ve never seen Bethany’s face.
Maybe when Mona or Melissa (or whoever) hit Bethany over the head with the shovel, they did enough damage that it would have required reconstructive surgery.
If Bethany and Ezra are linked somehow, this could be why Sabrina just appears out of nowhere after the girls are free from the Dollhouse and why she would still be around after the five-year time jump.
Also, a possible bonus parallel: Emily is hooking up with Sabrina and let’s not forget, she also hooked up with another one of A’s sidekicks.
Could Sabrina and Ezra be AD?
How exactly are Ezra and Sabrina (Bethany) connected?
I’m not sure. I do think Cece, Ezra, and Bethany all worked together at some stage.
I had a thought that maybe Ezra found out about Bethany during his book”research” days and paid her for information about the DiLaurentis family, especially Jessica and Alison. The same way he paid CeCe for information. Ezra was pissed that Ali led him on and lied to him about her age. He admitted that he was crazy about her. So perhaps when Alison went “missing”, there was a whole year for Ezra to start laying the tracks for his “revenge.”
I just don’t believe for one second that if Ezra knew who Aria was the day he “met” her that he didn’t also know about the rest of the girls and their families.
He inserted himself VERY deliberately into drama, and we are supposed just to accept that he just let go of all of that energy and effort just because he got found out? Or because he loves Aria that much?
I call bullshit.
When Ezra took the bullet in the season 4B finale, I think that Shana was trying to kill him because he is a puppet master. I still don’t know why the girls believed Shana was “A” — she clearly said her agenda wasn’t a game, it was payback. She wanted Alison dead for all of the shitty things she did to others. Ezra trying to convince the girls that Shana was A was just a distraction.
I believe that Ezra has been running things since day one and if Marlene and company made the motivation decent enough, it could wrap the story up amazingly.
I’m also 90% convinced that Ezra and Wren are friends in the PLL universe. I’ve thought for quite some time that this scene was Wren calling Ezra.
Photo Credit: Tumblr
As was CeCe while she hid out fromt he cops in Ezra’s Ravenswood lair.
Photo Credit: PLL Wiki
Other weird things about Ezra:
- He goes on “trips” and visits “buddies” when things are going down. Where is he really?
- He was MIA during the buying and selling of his family Jaguar (and also conveniently had thousands of dollars in cash in his sock drawer the very episode after Jason DiLaurentis writes a $50k check to “cash” in exchange for information about the whereabouts of Alison’s “corpse.”)
- He suddenly appears at the end of the Halloween Train in season 3. How did he insert himself into a crime scene filled with high school students? He just gets to waltz in and hug his underage girlfriend who was in a box filled with a dead cop? Weird.
- He had CeCe Drake on his payroll, and she was listening outside his door after the Hoe Down (omg that episode was so cringeworthy.)
- He slashed Spencer’s tire in Ravenswood and then attacked her in the Grunwald’s house.
- AND what the fuck was that costume he had on? Creeperton.
- His creepy cabin that belongs to a “buddy who was in Europe” — Wren much?
- Breaking into Hanna’s bedroom and computer and remotely shutting off Emily’s car stranding the girls so he could steal Ali’s diary back.
- The Truman Capote/Haper Lee connection (a character from To Kill a Mockingbird was based on Truman Capote – and Truman Capote authored Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Creating the characters Varjack/Holly Golightly.
- Um, his Ravenswood Lair. That wasn’t a writing studio; it was a surveillance unit for a creep.
- He named his company ‘Shawbee, LLC’ after Ali’s favorite beach in Cape May.
- Ezra claims that after he sent Aria back to The Radley in a cab the night of Charlotte’s murder that he “went to the House of Pies and talked to a trucker for three hours.” Ezra and his pies.
- Speaking of pies; in the 7B trailer, Mona reads a note from AD that reads, “Time for Pie. Be there.”
- Ezra was MIA episode 7×03 and 7×04 because he was apparently in NY visiting Nicole’s parents. This extra could be a continuity error, but when Nicole visits Emily in season 6A, she mentions that her father lives in Florida.
- I’m pretty sure Ezra killed Sara Harvey because he mentions the murder as he’s convincing Aria that they should elope in Tuscany. He even jokingly asks Aria if she killed Sara Harvey. Why the hurry to get out of town? Why the rush to make it official? They’ve been back together for ten minutes.
- Eddie Lamb calls him and then is never seen again.
- I know we are to assume that Ezra didn’t put the knives in Jake’s punching bag, but I’m pretty sure he did.
- According to Alison, she had CeCe wear the red coat in Now You See Me Now You Don’t to divert A from sawing Emily in half. Right after Alison has Spencer chase her up to Ezra’s lair.
- Mrs. Grunwald told Hanna that there is a darkness surrounding her and Caleb. She also felt that Ezra had ‘touched’ one of the girls. I don’t care, she was talking about Ezra in Season 4, and I think she got the same vibe in 7×08.
There are plenty of other bizarre things that Ezra’s involved in, and I’m sure the people who don’t suspect Ezra of being the biggest bad will have an answer and explanation for all of them.
I’ve seen people comment on social media/Reddit/etc., “but you can see on Instagram that Lucy Hale is wearing a veil on set, so they apparently get married…” but so what? I think the AD reveal is going to happen at the EzriA wedding. The last episode of the series is titled, “Till DeAth Do Us PArt.” Just because Lucy is wearing tulle and lace, doesn’t mean that everything goes according to plan.
Photo Credit: Pinterest
I mean it’s in the title, PLL is a show about liars.
And as for those who say, “Ezra was in Columbia with Nicole during the 7A finale so that couldn’t be him” — we don’t know the exact timeline of all events. As well, the fact that the person who pulled Jenna out had on the old school black hoodie leads me to believe it was NOT AD.
Jenna is blind. She doesn’t know who pulled her out, the mask that was thrown down was her only indication as to who was in the van.
I think it was Mona who pulled Jenna out. Mona is working for AD as a means to try and figure out who he/she is. Mona is the DArkest Knight (episode title). I think she was trying to shoot Jenna and hit Spencer by accident.
My final reason for suspecting that Ezra is the endgame villain of PLL is from social media posts Marlene King made before the 6×20 finale last year.
VILL-IAN. Not Ian Thomas. Ian Harding. Ezra. Yeah.
Who do you think is AD? Do you think Marlene would dare make Ezra the ultimate big bad?